Gallipoli is a small town on the Apulian coast. The historic center, located on an island offshore, hosts places of worship such as the Cathedral of Sant'Agata, with its richly decorated façade. Not far away, the Church of Santa Maria della Purità has a majolica floor. Although part of the Castle of Gallipoli, the Torre del Rivellino is independent of the main building. On the other side of the bridge, on the mainland, is the Greek Fountain, dating back to the Renaissance.
Castle of Gallipoli
The castle of Gallipoli, surrounded almost completely by the sea, stands with its imposing bulk at the eastern end of the island that houses the ancient village. Very probably built from the XI century on pre-existing Roman fortifications, it was rebuilt in the XIII century in the Byzantine era. It was repeatedly altered by the conquerors who succeeded each other over the centuries.
The Greek fountain rises in Gallipoli near the bridge that connects the new village to the old city. This fountain is the oldest in Italy and is said to have been built around the 3rd century BC. Among the hypotheses formulated by art critics, some share the dating of the III century BC, others, like the Bernich, after years of studies, debates and research, believe that the fountain was built during the Renaissance period. Originally it was located in the area of the ancient baths, today called 'fontanelle'. In 1548 it was transported near the church of San Nicola, now disappeared, where it remained until 1560, then it was again dismantled and rebuilt in the place where it currently stands.
Torre San Giovanni la Pedata
Torre San Giovanni la Pedata is a coastal tower located in the municipality of Gallipoli, in Lido San Giovanni. It was built in the sixteenth century for defensive purposes following the raids of the Saracens. Made with regular blocks, it presents at the base a truncated-pyramidal shape while ending with a square plan. At the summit it houses three drains on each side. The interior, which is accessed via a small door, is divided into two floors connected by a wall staircase. It is home to a marine biology station. It communicated to the north with the southern defenses of the city of Gallipoli and to the south with Torre del Pizzo.
Cathedral of Sant'Agata
In the heart of the city stands one of the most important churches for the Gallipoli, both from a religious and artistic point of view: the solemn Cathedral dedicated to Sant 'Agata, whose construction began exactly in 1629, in the Baroque period. some relics of some saints, among which those of San Fausto.The main facade of the church, adorned in Lecce stone, presents the decorative richness typical of the period between the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, when in Salento the work excelled of the great architect-sculptures Giuseppe Zimbalo, to whom all the local artists of the time referred to. The church has a Latin cross with three naves, with two rows of columns in Doric order made of carparo that transmit to the large room a feeling of refinement and rigor that is harmoniously combined with the splendor of the surrounding frames and friezes.
Located in one of the most picturesque spots in the city of Gallipoli, it is renowned for its seafood cuisine, which is able to satisfy the most demanding palates. The particularity of the restaurant is the position on which it is built, is located in the basin in front of the harbor area on the rock of the killers and is completely surrounded by the sea, with a splendid view of the port. There is also a small quay for mooring small boats, for those who want to get directly from the sea.